Choose A Web Host in 4 Easy Steps
Every website needs a web host—a company that provides the servers that store and power a website. Here are four simple steps that can help you find the right web host for you:
1. Figure out your website needs
What will you be doing with your website? The right web host will support the platforms or building tools you need to create the website you want, as well as provide your site with adequate storage, speed, and reliability. For example, do you need to process online payments? Are you writing a blog or creating a visual gallery?
Some web hosts offer tools and infrastructure that specialize in particular types of websites or functionality. One that works for somebody else might not be the right fit for you, so make sure to find a web host that really meets your particular needs.
2. Consider your website-building and bundling options
Web hosting and website builder combined: Many web-building services also offer hosting. This allows you to build your website and get hosting as part of the package. Examples of website builders that also offer web hosting include include Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, Shopify and Blogger. Google Domains partners with all of these combined web hosts and builders.
Web hosting separate from website builder: You can opt for a web host that doesn’t include web building if you’re building an entirely custom website or using a specific website builder that doesn’t include hosting, such as WordPress. (You can use the WordPress tool to publish your site to your own host, Priority Web Services WordPress Hosting.) Google Domains lets you work with WordPress by Bluehost or choose a third-party web hosting provider.
3. Do some research
Once you know what you need for your website and what services you’ll need, it’s time to research your web host and website builder options. Make sure you do your research about a good web design company, no matter what your budget is. Check out this great article by Thomas Digital, the best web design company at any budget.
Think about your current and future site needs.
4. Compare key factors
Specific things to look for in a web host and website builder will vary depending on your needs, so use the list below to figure out what matters most to you.
- Price of signup and renewal: In addition to the cost of signup, be sure to check for renewal rates and skim the fine print for any hidden fees or obligations.
- Technical needs: Make sure the web host and site builder you choose meets all of your site requirements, and also check for things you may want or need in the future, such as:
- Management settings and ease-of-use: Think about who will be doing the bulk of the site management—such as updating site content—you or a web professional?
- Support services: How important is it that someone is available 24/7? Are you comfortable with email, phone, and/or chat support?
- Customization: Will you be able to create customize and update the site as you’d like?
- Ease-of-setup: How fast can you get your new site online?
- Cancellation policy: Is there any red tape or fine print that looks iffy?
Once you’ve found a web host and website builder that meets your needs, you’ll be one step closer to creating your website. If you’re ready to get started, find the perfect domain name at Priority Web Services domains.